Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Books




I love The Polar Express.  It is one of those books I distinctly remember experiencing as a child.  I remember sitting on the orange carpet of the school library with my moon boots tucked neatly underneath.  I remember Mrs. McGlaughlin sitting at the front of the room with The Polar Express in one hand reading to us.   And I remember it was magical.  Still when I read it I want to run my hands over the beautiful illustrations and taste the chocolate-bar-thick hot chocolate – it is a book to be experienced. 

Now I love reading it to my own kids and cupping my hands over my mouth for the conductor to yell Merry Christmas.  And I love seeing how it is just as magical for them now as it was for me so many years ago.  While The Polar Express is one of my clear favorites we have been unwrapping a Christmas/winter related book every night to read and there are a lot of fun ones.  Here are just a few of our favorites: 


The story of a grandfather and his granddaughter and their first trip to the Nutcracker in the big city.


A Christmas Classic


The story of Rose and the children in the orphanage receiving oranges as a coveted, and only, Christmas present.


Perfect for those with a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree.

We checked a lot of books out from the library and wrapped some of our own as well.  I am especially excited to unwrap Snowflake Bentley and The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey - I have heard a lot about both but never read either.  

What are your favorites?

3 comments:

lannandem said...

I too love the Polar Express! Growing up we always read that by the fire just after we put our pajamas on and set out Santa's cookies. Our mother still asks us if we can hear the bell ring. Such a great message of Believing!

Chelsea said...

Polar Express and Why Christmas Tree's aren't Perfect. They are the first two I had to get and the only ones I have so far! :)I also put a bell on my door this year to remind me everytime I open the door.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of unwrapping a book a night during advent season! I hope to do that next year. While I have not read a lot of Christmassy books, two that I like are Wombat Divine by Mem Fox and A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.