Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Toes, Ears, & Nose


When my first child was a baby, I read to her all of the time.  We loved to cuddle up on a chair and read together.  When my second was born, I would read books to both my children and they both really enjoyed the same books - for the most part.  Now I have a third child and so far she has mostly been a bystander while I read to her two siblings.  But earlier this week we pulled out our "baby" books and she loves them.    Her favorite is Toes, Ears, & Nose written by Marion Dane Bauer and illustrated by Karen Katz.  My baby laughs and giggles as the pages are turned and the flaps are lifted.

The other great thing about pulling these books out is that it is largely my 5-year-old daughter who is reading them to our baby.  The sentences are very simple and easy for her to read so it highlights for her other aspects of reading.  When she is reading harder books she often reads in very monotone voices because she is working hard at getting all of the words right.  When she reads this book she uses a lot of expression in her voice because the words are easier and she gets such a reaction from her little sister.  I think it has also been very fun for her to be "the reader" - especially to such an excited audience.

It was fun to be reminded that children of all ages (including 6-month-old babies) love books.   As well as that simple board books can be great books for emergent readers to read to a younger audience.

We are in full baby-board book mode so there will be more baby book reviews to come!

No comments: