Friday, April 22, 2011

Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit


Back in February, the Love Bug brought Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit by Joan Carris to our house.  It is a book that says it is for 6 to 10 year olds.  I read it out loud to my 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son - but I have to say that my 3-year-old's interest level in it was minimal.  He mostly jumped around on the bed while we read.  My five-year-old, however, loved it.  

Grampa Bender runs an animal boarding house with the help of Ernest, the pig, Gabby, a mynah bird and a kitten named Millie.  Everything is great at the boardinghouse/farm until Grampa is called away to help with a fire at a neighboring house.  He comes home tired, smoky and with a mysterious bundle.  This mysterious bundle seems to be taking up all of Grampa's time and Ernest, Gabby and Millie are not happy.  The story follows the animals as the mystery unfolds and they learn to deal with the arrival of something new and different on their farm. 

This is a fun book about friendships and expanding those friendships beyond our current ones.  I don't know that this is a "new favorite" but I think it is a fun series (we have only read the first one) and is something that my daughter really enjoyed reading with me.  

No comments: